Iowa House speaker announces committee leadership
December 5, 2016
Iowa House Speaker Linda Upmeyer (R-Clear Lake) released committee assignments for the 2017 legislative session this morning. ABI looks forward to continuing to work with the committee chairs to advance pro-jobs policies for the state of Iowa.
Speaker Upmeyer in the release stated: “We have some very talented members in our caucus and I’m confident in their abilities to lead their respective committees. House Republicans remain committed to working on an agenda that moves Iowa forward.”
Some of the committee assignments are unchanged from the previous legislative session. Several incoming freshmen legislators received vice chair assignments.
Key committee assignments relevant to ABI and its 2017 legislative agenda include:
- Ways and Means: Rep. Guy Vander Linden (R-Oskaloosa) – Chair, Rep. Jane Bloomingdale (R-Northwood) – Vice Chair
- Economic Growth: Rep. Mary Ann Hanusa (R-Council Bluffs) – Chair, Rep. Shannon Lundgren (R-Peosta) – Vice Chair
- Commerce: Rep. Peter Cownie (R-West Des Moines) – Chair, Rep. Gary Mohr (R-Bettendorf) – Vice Chair
- Judiciary: Rep. Chip Baltimore (R-Boone) – Chair, Rep. Jim Carlin (R-Sioux City) – Vice Chair
- Labor: Rep. Dave Deyoe (R-Nevada) – Chair, Rep. Larry Sheets (R-Moulton) – Vice Chair
- Administrative Rules Review: Rep. Dawn Pettengill (R-Mount Auburn)- Chair
- Appropriations: Rep. Pat Grassley (R-New Hartford) - Chair; Rep. Ashley Hinson (R-Marion) – Vice Chair
- Environmental Protection: Rep. Ross Paustian (R-Walcott) – Chair, Rep. Andy McKean (R-Anamosa) –Vice Chair
The other committee assignments include:
- Administration and Rules: Rep. Mike Sexton (R-Rockwell City) – Chair Rep. Jarad Klein (R-Keota) – Vice Chair
- Agriculture: Rep. Lee Hein (R-Monticello) – Chair, Rep. Chuck Holz (R-Le Mars) – Vice Chair
- Education: Rep. Walt Rogers (R-Cedar Falls) – Chair, Rep. Greg Forristall (R-Macedonia) – Vice Chair
- Ethics: Rep. Rob Taylor (R- West Des Moines) – Chair Rep. Terry Baxter (R-Garner) – Vice Chair
- Government Oversight: Rep. Bobby Kaufmann (R-Wilton) – Chair, Rep. Greg Heartsill (R-Columbia) – Vice Chair
- Human Resources: Rep. Joel Fry (R-Osceola) – Chair, Rep. Michael Bergan (R-Dorchester) – Vice Chair
- International Relations: Rep. Terry Baxter (R-Garner) – Chair
- Local Government: Rep. Jake Highfill (R-Johnston) – Chair, Rep. Kristi Hager (R-Waukon) – Vice Chair
- Natural Resources: Rep. Rob Bacon (R-Slater) – Chair, Rep. Dean Fisher (R-Garwin) – Vice Chair
- Public Safety: Rep. Clel Baudler (R-Greenfield) – Chair Rep. David Kerr (R-Morning Sun) – Vice Chair
- State Government: Rep. Ken Rizer (R-Marion) – Chair, Rep. Kevin Koester (R-Ankeny) – Vice Chair
- Transportation: Rep. Gary Carlson (R-Muscatine) – Chair, Rep. Dave Maxwell (R-Gibson) – Vice Chair
- Veterans Affair: Rep. Steve Holt (R-Denison) – Chair, Rep. Sandy Salmon (R-Janesville) – Vice Chair
You will have the opportunity to meet many of the Representatives above at the 2017 ABI Legislative Briefing and Reception which will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 11. Click here to learn more and to register.
For the full list of ABI's 2017 legislative priorities, click here.