Federal Spotlight: Webinar will focus on new NLRB election rule
April 9, 2015
The National Association of Manufacturers is hosting a webinar to provide advice on how to address a new rule from the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) that shortens the timeframe for labor elections. The webinar will take place on April 14 from 9 a.m. to noon.
The new rule, known by opponents as the "ambush election rule," allowes elections to take place in as few as 11 days after being called, rather than the average of about 40 days that had been allowed in the past.
The webinar will cover details of the rule and practical strategies for tackling it effectively. Topics discussed include:
- Proactively devleoping a stated position on unions consistent with company culture
- Engaging the workforce in discussions about unions before petitions are filed
- Determining who is and who is not a "supervisor" under the National Labor Relations Act
- Learning the training techiques that can be implemented now for supervisors
- Conducting a vulnerability assessment at your organizaiton to help enhance an "issue free" environment
- Understanding how the NLRB's standards for "appropriate units" make election rules even more problematic and what to do about it
- Reviewing how the NLRB's new rulings on concerted activity, e-mail access and handbook rules enable unions to advance their agenda through unfair labor practice filings and objections to an election when employees vote against union representation