What to Expect from ABI During the 2020 Legislative Session
January 10, 2020 | 2020 legislative preview
The legislative session will begin on Jan. 13. As always, ABI serves as the Iowa business community’s eyes and ears at the Capitol. The upcoming legislative session will be no different. Here is what you can expect from ABI during the session and how you can make a difference in the policymaking process.
THREE THINGS TO EXPECT FROM ABI:
1. Round the clock coverage at the Capitol – The ABI public policy team provides a gavel-to-gavel presence during the legislative session. If the Legislature is in session, you can count on ABI to provide timely information about deliberations at the Capitol. We will work to educate lawmakers and representatives of the executive branch about the impact various proposals will have on employees and employers statewide. ABI will be there for Iowa employers—day and night.
2. Weekly updates – ABI members will receive the Voice of Iowa Business newsletter every Thursday afternoon. The newsletter will track the legislative development of key issues ABI is engaged in on behalf of members during that week. The newsletter will be timely and in your email inbox before the end of the week.
3. Monthly conference calls – ABI members also get up-to-date information during monthly conference calls, which are made possible by member company support. During these calls, we share the status of bills, answer your questions and provide an insiders’ look into the legislative process.
THREE WAYS YOU CAN GET ENGAGED:
1. Meet your local elected officials – Iowa legislators are extremely accessible. In addition to weekend forums, legislators are willing to come to businesses and meet with employees and other businesses from their districts. The best way to educate legislators is to help them understand what you do and why your business is important to the Iowa economy. Invite them to your office, plant or construction site. Get to know them. If you need help with this, ABI staff is here to assist.
2. Attend Iowa Business Day on the Hill – In addition to the ABI Legislative Briefing and Reception that kicks off the legislative session, ABI also partners with business organizations for Iowa Business Day on the Hill. This year, the event will be held on March 11 at the ABI office. Check out www.iowaabi.org for more details.
3. Make sure you receive ABI emails – I know you receive a lot of emails from organizations you’re a part of. However, if you want to stay up-to-date on the legislative happenings at ABI, make sure you read the Voice of Iowa Business newsletter on Thursdays. Also, when you see an email from Mike Ralston, Brad Hartkopf or myself, most likely it’s related to a pending public policy issue, it’s time sensitive and we need your support. Please help us and reach out to your legislators when the requests come from ABI.
It is an honor to represent you and the hundreds of thousands of employees you employ throughout the state each and every day. We will work hard every day for you and for a better climate to be an Iowa employer. If you have a question about public policy, please email or call us. Our job is to represent you and be responsive to your questions and concerns. Thank you for your commitment to ABI and Iowa’s business community.