Application, Selection, & Cost
Any student currently enrolled in an Iowa college or university is invited to apply to participate in Leadership Iowa University. Those attending an out-of-state institution may apply if selected as part of an Iowa-based internship program or as capacity allows. Those pursuing any area of study, industry or occupation are welcome.
Interested candidates will be required to complete and submit an application found online here by the deadline noted on the application page or until the program is filled. Typically, the application deadline is approximately one month before the start of the program.
A maximum of 30 participants will be selected for Leadership Iowa University. Participants are selected based on leadership potential, community/campus involvement, internship recommendation (if applicable), and other factors determined by application responses. GPA and course schedules are not determining factors in acceptance.
Ideal candidates for the LIU program are those who are:
- Driven to become active, engaged leaders on their campuses and in their communities
- Interested in exploring different career opportunities and workplaces
- Highly motivated to grow their personal and professional skills and network
- Thinking about their future in Iowa and interested in important aspects of our state
- Inspired by local leaders and those making a difference in their communities
- "Big picture" thinkers with a thirst for information and unique experiences
It is important to note that, if selected, attendees are required to participate and adhere to all program requirements throughout the multi-day program. This includes being an active, respectful participant and a positive representative of the program and his/her company and/or college or university.
Each student participant is responsible for a participation fee of $500 for the 2023 program.
Participation payments must be received prior to the program week. This payment is refundable up until one week prior to the program.